* = Suitable for children.
COFFEEHOUSE-Style CONCERTS, BENEFITS, GALAS, etc.
A Night at the Alhambra: Elm Shakespeare Gala & Auction, food and entertainment set in Southern Spain, Thur., Sept. 3, 5 p.m., Edgerton Park, 75 Cliff St. New Haven; elmshakespeare.org.
New Canaan Historical Society’s House of Cars, “Fuel Up” breakfast at Miller Motorcars Stamford Garage, followed by curated Garage Tour during the day, with “Pit Stop” boxed picnic lunch, and an evening Gala, celebrating the society’s 125th Anniversary at Collectors’ Car Garage in Bedford Hills, N.Y., with special guest Patrick Dempsey; Sat. Sept. 12; info., nchistory.org.
Nite Spot Nights, presented by the Milford Arts Council and Pantochino Productions, Inc., at the Milford Center for the Arts, 40 Railroad Ave. South, milfordarts.org or 203-878-6647: The Dozen Divas, starring Dorothy Bishop, Sat., Sept. 12; Singer Julie Benko with jazz pianist Jason Yeager in Blame It On Our Youth, Sat., Nov. 7; other shows De. 5, March 5, April 2; tickets $25.
Folk Legend John Gorka, Sat., Sept. 12, 8 p.m., Connecticut Folk Festival, Edgerton Park, 75 Cliff St., New Haven; tickets are free; 203-777-1886 or ctfolk.com.
Local Philanthropic Roast to benefit the American Cancer Society, Thur., Sept. 17, 6 p.m., honoring Bobby Valentine; at the Italian Center of Stamford, 1620 Newfield Ave.; res., 203-563-1528 or visit fairfieldcountyroast.org after July 24.
Art Auction to benefit Greater New Haven Community Chorus, Fri., Sept. 18, 7 p.m.; tickets $25/person, $40/couple, at the Commons Great Room, 75 Washington Ave., Hamden; $25/person, $40/couple; at gnhcc.org.
An Evening for the Arts with Charlie Rose, opening 25th ann. season at the Quick Center for the Arts at Fairfield U., Sat., Sept. 19; 5:30 private dinner reception at Delamar Southport, Celebration Cocktails at the Quick Center Walsh Art Gallery at 6:30, conversation with Charlie Rose with Faith Middleton and Philip Eliasoph on-stage; after party, with DJ and dancing; tickets $500 (all events) to $75 (conversation and after-party); quickcenter.com or 1-877-ARTS-396.
MS Taste of Hope, fund-raising food-sampling evening, Thur., Sept. 17, 6 p.m., tickets $50; Anthony’s Ocean View, 450 Lighthouse Rd., New Haven; visit ctfightsms.org or call 860-913-2550 for tickets and more information.
Taconic Opera Gala: Opera Goes Insane, Thur., Sept. 17, 7 p.m., featuring company’s professional lead singers performing “mad scenes” from famous operas; dinner; tickets $250 to $150; ArtsWestchester Gallery, 31 Mamaroneck Ave., White Plains, N.Y.; tickets and res., taconicopera.org or call 1-855-886-7372.
Something Wonderful: A Gala Evening Celebrating 2015 Tony Award Winner Kelli O’Hara, with special guest Matthew Morrison, Mon., Sept. 21, 5:45 p.m.; Westport Country Playhouse, 25 Powers Court; for more gala info. or tickets, call 203-571-1293 or email [email protected]
The Bigger Rig Gig, fund-raiser for Opus for Person-to-Person, Sat., Sept. 26, 6:30-11 p.m., $145, incl. food, drink, entertainment and games; Ox Ridge Hunt Club, 512 Middlesex Rd., Darien; info., opus4p2p.org.
Luc’s Café-Restaurant, 3 Big Shop Lane, Ridgefield; 203-894-8522: Mon. and Wed. nights, 7:30-9:30, Cafe Musette, gypsy swing featuring vocalist Noreen Mola; www.cafemusette.com.
Sarah’s Wine Bar, upstairs at Bernard’s, 20 West Lane Ridgefield; 203-438-8282 or bernardsridgefield.com: Bob Curiano, guitar, every Wed.; Mark Mollica, every Thur., guitar; Sun., Wed. & Thur. at 6:30, Fri.-Sat., 7:30ish.
Bernard’s, 20 West Lane, Ridgefield; 203-438-8282 or bernardsridgefield.com: Live Music: Fri., piano, 7-10:30 p.m.; Sat., piano, 7-10:30 p.m.; Sun.brunch, piano, 12-3 (1st Sun./month, Young Musicians).
Jazz Sundays at Sono Seaport Seafood Restaurant, with percussionist John Cutrone and friends, 100 Water St., South Norwalk; music from 3 to 6 p.m.; 203-854-9483: John Bailey, trumpet, Rob Aries, organ, and Bill Bickford, guitar, Aug. 23; Andrew Beals, saxophone, Chris Morrison, guitar, Aug. 30.
Fuji of Japan Restaurant, 111 Old King’s Highway North, Darien; fujiofjapan.com or call 203-655-4995: Thursday night music, alternating Nicole Pasternak and Maria Tiscia.
The Acoustic, 2926 Fairfield Ave., Bridgeport; theacoustic.rocks or 203-335-3655: Chaser Eight, album release, Fri., Aug. 28, 9 p.m.
Le Fontane Ristorante, corner Rte. 137 & 100, Katonah, N.Y., 914-232-9619 or lefontane.net: Friday evening Live Jazz with Joe Jazz & The Band.
Daryl’s House Club, 130 Route 22, Pawling, N.Y.; darylshouseclub.com or 845-289-0185: Satisfaction: The International Rolling Stones Show, tribute, Thur., Aug. 20, 8 p.m., $25; Albert Lee featuring Cindy Cashdollar, British folkrock, Fri., Aug. 21, 8 p.m., $25, $35; Dana Fuchs Band, Sat., Aug. 22, 8 p.m., $20, $25; Kuf Knotz, hip-hop reggae, Sun., Aug. 23, 2 p.m., no cover; BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet, Cajun and folk, Sun., Aug. 23, 8 p.m., $20, $25; Luke Wade, from Season 7 and Mia Z from Season 8 of the The Voice, Fri., Aug. 28, 8 p.m., tickets $15-$50.
* Westchester Broadway Theatre, 1 Broadway Plaza, Elmsford, N.Y.; box office, 914-592-2222 or broadwaytheatre.com: Backwards in High Heels, Aug. 13-Sept. 30; Thur.-Sat. evenings, 8 p.m.; Wed.-Fri. lunch matinees, 1 p.m.; Sun., lunch, 1:30; Sun., dinner show, 7 p.m., tickets $54-$80.
UNDER THE STARS
* CHIRP 2015, free concerts at 7 p.m., in Ballard Park, off Main St., Ridgefield, through Sept. 1; chirpct.org; rain phone number, 203-431-2760 (after 4 p.m.); lawn seating, donations appreciated: Humming House, Thur., Aug. 20; Sarah Potenza, Tues., Aug. 25; Harpeth Rising, Thur., Aug. 27; Pedrito Martinez, Tues., Sept. 1.
Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival on the grounds of Boscobel House and Gardens, 1601 Rte. 9D, Garrison, N.Y.; tickets $28-$84, avail. at hvshakespeare.org: repertory performances of The Winter’s Tale, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Arabian Nights, An Illiad and HVSF Conservatory production of The Tempest, June 9-Sept. 1, grounds open for picnicking at 5:30, all performances at 7:30.
* Summer Concerts on the Green, at the Trumbull Town Hall Gazebo, 5866 Main St., Tuesdays at 7, June 16-Sept. 8 (in case of rain in the Community Rm. at the Trumbull Library, 33 Quality St.): Tony Reno, Aug. 25; I’Liguri, Sept. 1; The Barons, Sept. 8.
* Concerts on the Green at City Center Danbury; free; citycenterdanbury.com, 203-792-1711; Thur., 7:30, Fri.-Sat., generally, main acts at 8 p.m., opening acts at 7:15: Danbury Drum Corps, Thur., Aug. 20; Get Your Wings, Fri., Aug. 21; Blues Buddha, Sat., Aug. 22; Beyond the Wall, Fri., Aug. 28; The Doug Wahlberg, Sat., Aug. 29.
* Levitt Pavilion for the Performing Arts, 40 Jesup Rd., Westport (on the Saugatuck River south of the Westport Public Library), levittpavilion.com: free evening concerts most nights (except Monday) during summer, complete schedule posted online.
* Derby Summer Concert Series, Tues. nights 7-9 p.m. on the Derby Green (raindates the following Wed. night): Big Beat Band, Aug. 25; Mark Lanzeri, Sept. 1.
* Elm Shakespeare Company: Twelfth Night, Aug. 20-Sept. 6, nightly at 8, except Aug. 24, Aug. 31; Edgerton Park, 75 Cliff St.,New Haven; free w/ sugg. donation; lawn seating, picnics encouraged; info., 203-874-0801; elmshakespeare.org.
Pickin’ at the Ives, featuring Michael Daves and Tony Trischka, Fri., Aug. 21, starting at 6:30 p.m., tickets $25, $20, $10;
Summer Breeze Jazz featuring Jimmy Greene, Fri., Aug. 28, 6:30 p.m., Ives Concert Park, WCSU Westside Campus, 43 Lake Ave. Ext., Danbury; info., ivesconcertpark.com.